So where do you buy short ribs? At the Mexican grocery store. But you have to tell the butcher that you want him to cut long thin slices for the grill. Those costillas or if you are into Korean food like me they look just like Kalbi. They cook up fast on a high heat or in the oven. The thinner they are the faster they cook.
2lbs of thinly sliced ribs serves around 4 people or 2 - depends on how much you want to eat.
Sambhal sauce- or hot sauce of choice
- Mix all the ingredients and generously apply on the short ribs
- Lay the short ribs on a baking dish (single layer)
- Cover with foil.
- Prick the foil and put in the over at 400 F for 45 minutes.
- OR place on a grill till cooked to your liking (medium or well done)
Fish Sauce - Dipping sauce
So this is interesting. Fish sauce is a Thai sauce used in the base of Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian and Filipino cooking. It is made of fermented fish and for more information you could Google it or Wiki it. But it is available in the Asian food aisles of most well stocked grocery stores.
What does it taste like: it is very salty and it is strangely not that fishy.
6-8 green chilies minced (tone it down or kick it up)
handful of cilantro
green ends of spring onions (optional)
juice of 5-7 limes (add more to reduce saltiness)
- Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl.
- Squeeze the lime juice as needed (I go with more lime than less also it strengthens arms).
- Pour 1/2 cup of fish sauce in the mix.
- Use a fork to mash it.